Skip to content ↓



Parents are legally responsible for ensuring that their children regularly attend the school at which they are registered. Parents can help to ensure regular attendance by:

  • Encouraging their children to attend school regularly and on time
  • Taking in interest in their children’s education and life at school
  • Communicating with their children’s school in order to discuss any emerging issues or problems notifying their children’s school on the first day of any absence
  • Not arranging any family holidays during term time


What happens if your child is absent from school regularly?

Some children, unfortunately, fail to attend school regularly. This is where internal or legal action will be taken.

Under the guidance of Central Bedfordshire council we deal with attendance issues through trigger letters.

Trigger 1 is sent to highlight a fall in attendance as it is easy to lose track of days your child has been off.

Trigger 2 letter will be sent if your child’s attendance falls close to 90% or if their attendance has not improved following a Trigger 1 letter.

Fixed Penalty Notices may be issues in cases where attendance is really low or absences have been unauthorised. Please be aware that 10 unauthorised sessions will be reported to Central Bedfordshire council as your child in this instance is referred to as ‘missing in education’.

For more information please visit:

Requesting for your child to have time out of school

Permission must be obtained from the Headteacher if you would like to take your child out of school during term time.

You can only do this if:

  • You make an application to the Headteacher in advance (as a parent the child normally lives with)
  • There are exceptional circumstances

If leave is granted, the Headteacher will decide how many days your child can be away from school .

Parents do not have a legal right to take their children out of school in order to go on holiday.

If you take your child out of school for a family holiday without the school’s prior authorisation, the absence will be recorded as unauthorised and noted in your child’s school records.

For further information please visit Central Beds Website:

Request for absence procedural document